Top travel journalist Christopher P. Baker has three decades experience leading international tours for leading travel companies, including group motorcycle tours to Cuba. He is one of the world’s most knowledgeable and experienced tour leaders to Cuba, and offers curated tours of Cuba on demand
“Christopher… I gave the tour a 99 on a 100 scale as I can’t imagine it gets much better than we experienced in Cuba. You did everything well and made sure that everyone in the group had a very memorable trip.”
— BOB HENIG, BOB’S BMW (motorcycle tour 2015)
“Chris, what can I say, the trip was spectacular. We all thoroughly enjoyed your company.”
—MICHAEL SMERCONISH, CNN TV anchor (private tour of Cuba, August 2016)
Christopher is passionate about his fields of expertise and is dedicated to enriching the experience of trip participants by sharing his vast and unique knowledge and insights through fascinating presentations, informal discussions, and personal introductions to special people and places.
Christopher led his first tour—a travel agents’ familiarization trip to New Zealand—in 1982 on behalf of California-based Adventure Center. He later founded his own company, British Pride Tours, and led deluxe garden and stately homes tours of England. He also founded Kim Mason’s Shopping Tours with former fashion model Kim Mason, with whom he escorted upscale shopping tours to Hong Kong and Korea.
He is a National Geographic Resident Expert specializing in Colombia, Costa Rica and Cuba, and leads trips to all three destinations, including more than 75 “people-to-people” tours to Cuba on behalf of National Geographic Expeditions. In 2016 he will begin leading ‘Cuba by Land & Sea’ trips for Lindblad Expeditions.
He also has broad experience as a guest lecturer aboard cruise ships and is a former faculty member of Cunard Cruise Lines and Holland America Line. In 2017 he will also lecture and teach photography aboard the MV Serenissima (Cuba) and MV Safari Endeavor (Mexico’s Sea of Cortez).
An acclaimed photographer, he currently escorts tours and photo workshops for Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic Expeditions, and in 2011 led the first photo workshop in Cuba for Santa Fe Workshops. He has also led photography tours of Cuba for Lumaria Workshops, and in 2016/17 will also lead in trips in Colombia, Costa Rica and Cuba for Jim Cline Photo Tours.
He has also led tours of Costa Rica for Backroads.
A keen adventure motorcyclist, in 2013 Christopher led the first group motorcycle tours of Cuba for U.S. citizens in six decades on behalf of Texas-based MotoDiscovery and in 2015 was invited to lead a ‘Motorcycle Legends Tour’ of Colombia for Motolombia. He currently leads his own group motorcycle tours of Cuba offered through Cross Cultural Journeys, MotoDiscovery and RTW Moto Tours.
Praise from National Geographic tour participants:
• “National Geographic is blessed to have such an individual as part of their expedition team.“
• “Chris was amazing! I am very happy that he was our guide and I could not imagine any better person to be with us on this trip. Grade A+!”
• “Chris’ knowledge and enthusiasm for Cuba are incomparable.“
• “Not just excellent. Fabulous! His vast knowledge of Cuba along with his interaction with participants the Cuban people made him invaluable.”
• “We cannot say enough about Chris. We think he is a remarkable person!
• “Chris Baker was great. He was an interesting, even tempered and fabulous expert. His enthusiasm was contagious. He made Cuba great fun. Chris makes you feel as if you are having a private tour with him. Almost every day, Chris had a surprise for us. What wonderful surprises they were!”
• “He was outstanding. I can’t even imagine doing this trip without him. I can’t even begin to describe how great he was in every respect.”
• “As good as I’ve ever seen. Would go with him anyplace.”