Join renowned travel journalist and Cuba expert Christopher P. Baker on National Geographic Expeditions’ 8-day ‘Cuba: Discovering Its People & Culture’ program and experience Cuban culture the most authentic way possible—through its people

In June 2017, President Trump banned independent ‘people-to-people’ travel to Cuba by individuals… but ANY U.S. citizen can still travel to Cuba legally by joining a licensed group ‘people-to-people’ program… and National Geographic Expeditions’ 8-day ‘Cuba: Discovering its People & Culture’ is the most celebrated such option there is.

No other entity offers such a richly rewarding in-depth study of Cuba as National Geographic Expeditions.

Prize-winning writer and photographer Christopher P. Baker, author of National Geographic Traveler: Cuba  (plus five other books about Cuba), and hailed by National Geographic as “one of the world’s leading authorities on Cuban travel and culture,” will accompany a number of departures as the National Geographic Society’s Cuba expert.

On these unique and inspiring programs, Christopher will introduce you a fascinating medley of Cubans from all walks of life. Get acquainted with Cubans in diverse settings, from Old Havana to the French-infused city of Cienfuegos, plus the charming colonial of Trinidad, and engage them directly in discussions about their lives and work, culture and traditions. Meet with Cuban historians, teachers, students, artists, naturalists, and others, and experience this fast-changing island nation through their eyes.


Q&A with Christopher P. Baker… CLICK HERE!

In this interview with NGE’s Ford Cochran, Christopher reflects on the expedition and describes what travelers will experience when they join him.


In October 15, 2017, the Trump administration recalled half the staff of the U.S. Embassy in Havana, claiming that they “have been targeted in specific (sonic) attacks.” The State Department issued a travel warning advising against all travel to Cuba.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS… Following months of investigation and four FBI trips to Havana, a report (January 4, 2018) from the bureau’s Operational Technology Division says the FBI probe has uncovered NO EVIDENCE that sound waves could have damaged the Americans’ health, as the Trump administration has claimed. “There are some people with symptoms that are unexplained,” said Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), a member of the Senate Foreign Intelligence Committee. “The Cubans bristle at the word ‘attack.’ I think they are justified at doing so. The FBI has said there is no evidence of an attack. We shouldn’t be using that word.”

In response, on January 10, 2018, the State Department softened its travel warning.

In my opinion, the travel warning never made sense.  There was never any evidence of any threat to U.S. tourists, nor that any so-called “attacks.” To the contrary, more than 4.5 million tourists safely visited Cuba last year, including a record high of 620,000 U.S. citizens. I, too, have visited Cuba repeatedly throughout 2017 and already in 2018… without reporting so much as a headache!

No surprise, on January 18, 2018, Cuba was named “Safest Country for Tourism” at the annual International Tourism Fair (FITUR), in Madrid, Spain.

Top neurologists say mass hysteria may explain the symptoms